If you love spending time in your backyard during the nice weather, it’s important to introduce shade as much as possible using an umbrella and other means to protect you and your family.
Here are some simple tips and backyard shade ideas to help make your space sun-safe.
Why Is Sun Protection So Important?
Sun protection is vital in not only keeping you looking younger but also preventing damage to your skin, as exposure to ultraviolet (UV) Radiation is the leading cause of skin cancer.
There are two types of UV radiation:
- Ultraviolet A (UVA)
- Radiation that can pass through glass
- Plays a role in causing melanoma, cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma
- Causes premature ageing and wrinkling of the skin
- Ultraviolet B (UVB)
- Radiation that does not pass through car windows and other types of glass
- Causes sunburn
- Closely linked with the development of skin cancer and melanoma
Even on an overcast/cloudy day UV rays can still penetrate your skin. It is always best to be prepared and protect yourself.
How to Protect Yourself in the Sun
- Use a sun umbrella to add shade instantly to your backyard.
- Use a sunscreen with a SPF of at least 30. Apply thirty minutes before going out in the sun and reapply throughout the day. Cover lips, tops of ears and other areas that burn easily.
- Be careful around reflective surfaces.
- Protect yourself with clothing. Wear long sleeved tops, sunglasses and hats. Cover yourself up and look for clothing made with special sun-protective materials.
- Limit sun exposure when the sun’s rays are the most intense, between 10:00am and 04:00pm
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water.
Make Your Garden Sun Safe with these Backyard Shade Ideas
Now you’ve protected yourself, it’s time to turn your outdoor space into a safe, sun haven.
Consider sun exposure when planning your landscape. Plant shady trees and use umbrellas that protect you from the sun.
What color umbrella is best for sun protection? While any umbrella you get will protect you from the sun, black and dark colors fare better as they absorb more of the suns’ rays.
Add shade instantly to your backyard with these top-selling umbrellas from Oakville Home Leisure:
- Try The AKZ Cantilever Collection which is sure to make a statement in any setting. It includes features such as a 360-degree swivel, tilts from the back, double wind vent, octagon shape, and two-year warranty. It also comes in an array of different colours and finishes.
- Also try the new 10’ Tilting Tucci. This automatic umbrella makes an impression with a state-of-the-art, multiple location locking system and 360 base rotation, providing shade at every position of the suns’ rays. It comes in a variety of different shapes and sizes including square, rectangle and octagon, as well as finishes such as contemporary powder coat or beautiful woodgrain Aluma-Teak™.
- The 10’ Tilting Tucci with Light and Automation adds light, power, and the ability to open/close your umbrella with the touch of a button, providing increased functionality.
Make the most of your outdoor space this spring! Use an umbrella that protects you from the sun and choose from an array of different backyard shade designs and options. Contact Oakville Home Leisure for all of your umbrella needs.